Show/Hide
Skip to page body Home About The City Government Departments and Services Visiting Living Doing Business How Do I..?
NOTICE 
THIS INFORMATION IS BEING SUPPLIED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE NORTH CAROLINA UTILITY COMMISSION AND FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS 49 CFR 192.616.

1. Natural Gas is a form of energy and like any other can cause damage. Gas alone will not explode. It requires a proper percentage of air combined with a high temperature source to cause ignition.

However, it is possible through misuse or accident to have leaking gas with the potential danger of fire and/or explosion. An odorant is added to natural gas to aid in the detection of leaking gas by its odor being present, and also to alert you to take necessary precautions. Those precautions are:

  • Do NOT turn on or off electrical switches, or allow any open flames to be on.
  • Notify your natural gas company or your fire department immediately.
  • If a gas odor is dominant inside, shut off the customer valve at the meter outside and remain outside.
  • Do NOT use your phone inside the building.
  • If gas odor is very strong, move well clear of the building.
  • Have a qualified natural gas department employee turn the gas meter on, only after the danger is confirmed to be clear.

2. Natural Gas is not poisonous. However if it is not burning properly, with a sufficient mixture of air in a gas furnace or appliance for example, Carbon Monoxide may be produced which is odorless and highly poisonous. If a properly vented furnace or appliance is used, this hazard is not likely to occur. However, if you have symptoms of being tired, having a headache and/or nausea and ringing of the ears for no apparent reason, Carbon Monoxide may be present in your home. Take the following precautions:

  • Open doors and windows or go outside.
  • Do NOT use any gas appliance that is suspected not to burn correctly or phone the gas company to have a natural gas employee check for a faulty condition. Ask the employee for referrals for repair.
  • Have a natural gas department employee shut off the gas meter until repairs can be made.
Contact your Natural Gas department for any questions on the above information.
  • During Business Hours - Tel: 336-248-3945
  • Weekends, Holidays and Weekdays after 5 PM - Tel: 336-248-2337
REMEMBER Before You Dig, Phone 811 For FREE locating of utilities.
Last updated: 4/13/2017 2:14:57 PM