Show/Hide
Skip to page body Home About The City Government Departments and Services Visiting Living Doing Business How Do I..?

Sniffy

WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL NATURAL GAS! 
Your sense of smell is one important way you can detect a gas leak.  For safety reasons, a strong pungent odorant is added to natural gas to help detect leaks (Natural gas smells like rotten eggs.)

If your nose detects there may be gas in your vicinity, do the following:

If the odor is slight and it is near an appliance, you may need to turn off a valve or merely re-light a pilot light that has gone out. If you have any doubts, please call the Natural Gas department immediately at 336-248-3945 during business hours or 336-248-2337 after 5:00 p.m.  and on weekends.

If the odor is strong, turn off any flame nearby, evacuate the building and take all pets with you. LEAVE A DOOR OPEN TO HELP VENTILATE THE AREA WHEN YOU LEAVE.

DO NOT attempt to locate the source of a leak or stop it. DO NOT try to find the leak yourself with the aid of a candle or match. DO NOT switch the lights on or off, this might cause a spark.  DO NOT us anything electrical that may create a spark; this includes cell phones. REFRAIN from smoking or any open flames. Evacuate the building and phone us. We will send out a technician to investigate.  Please call 336-248-3945 during business hours or 336-248-2337 to reach the Natural Gas department after 5:00 p.m. and on weekends.

If the odor is outside the dwelling, call us immediately. Qualified personnel will conduct a thorough inspection to assure safety.  Natural gas is one of the safest forms of energy and with your assistance, we can keep it that way.

Last updated: 4/4/2014 11:28:39 AM