Traditionally in February every year, Lexington City Council holds a retreat and collectively sets goals for the community for the coming fiscal year which begins July 1st. The City Council and City Administration implement these goals by using them as the framework for building an annual budget, giving directives to City of Lexington departments, setting service levels and crafting policies. It is important to convey that oftentimes, City Council's goals for the community span multiple years due to the complexity and the long range vision applied in setting the future direction for Lexington.
In February 2017, City Council established the following as the Top 10 Goals for Fiscal Year 2017-2018:
- Create an environment that grows the economy, increases tax base and fosters entrepreneurial opportunities
- Continue to expand recreational opportunities for citizens
- Focus efforts on improving the City’s appearance
- Develop the Depot District including advocating for passenger railstop
- Support programs that will prepare students for good citizenship, successful future and jobs
- Maintain City’s financial integrity while enhancing government services
- Partner with key stakeholders to expand cultural arts and entertainment options
- Support development of “green” initiatives
- Attract and retain a diverse and inclusive professional staff that is highly trained and skilled and reflects the community
- Continue to address homeownership, housing options, blighted neighborhoods and neighborhood stabilization
Additional information across the website is linked for your convenience and accomplishments are updated periodically. For an up-to-date list of Goal Accomplishments, click here. Be sure to Sign up for eNews to follow the latest progress reports on fulfilling City Council's objectives for the citizens of Lexington. You may also follow progress on Facebook or Twitter!